The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (SC) is the organization responsible for delivering the infrastructure necessary to host the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The committee was formed in 2011 by His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Emir of Qatar.
The committee’s work is overseen by its chairman, Hassan Al Thawadi. Its secretariat is headed by Nasser Al Khater, its CEO. The SC is responsible for the delivery of eight key projects:
Supreme committee for delivery and legacy – The 8 key projects
* The development of three new stadiums – Education City Stadium, Lusail Iconic Stadium and Al Bayt Stadium – as well as the upgrade of Khalifa International Stadium. You can check 2022 FIFA world cup stadiums list here.
* The construction of a state-of-the-art training facility – Aspire Academy – which will host up to 32 national teams during the FIFA World Cup.
* The development of a dedicated tournament precinct in Lusail, which will include a Fan Zone where supporters can watch matches on giant screens.
* The construction of a new airport terminal and an upgrade of Hamad International Airport, which will be able to accommodate 60 million passengers per year by 2030.
* The expansion of Qatar’s port facilities, including the construction of a new passenger terminal at Mesaieed Port.
* The development of a light rail transit (LRT) system and associated infrastructure, including a new coach station and metro links.
* The construction of more than 90 new hotels and the upgrade of existing ones, to provide accommodation for visitors during the FIFA World Cup.
* The implementation of a range of other transport, security and Legacy initiatives.
Supreme committee for delivery and legacy Initiatives
The SC is committed to ensuring that the FIFA World Cup leaves a positive and lasting legacy for Qatar and the region. This will also attracts the sponsors. To this end, the committee has launched a number of initiatives, including:
* The establishment of a World Cup Legacy Scholarship Programme, which will provide financial support for up to 5,000 young people from across the Arab world to study at universities in Qatar.
* The construction of dozens of new football pitches and training facilities across Qatar, which will be made available for use by the local community after the FIFA World Cup.
* The development of a world-class events and convention centre in Doha, which will host international events long after the FIFA World Cup has ended.
* The launch of ‘Qatar Connect’, an SC programme that will facilitate cultural exchanges between young people from Qatar and other countries around the world.
* The creation of a lasting legacy for Qatar’s environment through the planting of millions of trees and the establishment of new protected areas.
Supreme committee for delivery and legacy 4 core principles
The SC’s work is guided by four core principles:
* Delivering an exceptional FIFA World Cup experience for all
* Creating a lasting legacy for Qatar and the region
* Showcasing Arab hospitality at its best
* Acting as a responsible host and global citizen.
For more information, please visit our website: www.sc.qa
You can also follow them on Twitter (@SC), Facebook (Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy) and Instagram (@SC) and please don’t forget to share it with others on social media sites!!